Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Desperate in Dubai goes electronic...oops!

This time last year, I sat sanctimoniously on my high horse and turned my nose up at electronic books.

Electronic books? The very concept was blasphemous. Books were there to spend hours poring over in a library or bookstore. Books were there to smell, touch, thumb through, scribble notes in, bend pages, crease spines, share with friends and then finally place on a bookshelf amongst their peers.

You can't feel a downloaded book. You can't smell it. And you definitely can't put in on your bookshelf as part of your decor.

So yes, with that in mind, I loftily rejected the very notion and insisted that Desperate in Dubai, though not a classic masterpiece, would never, ever fall down the slippery slope of e-publishing.

Until I got an ipad.

One evening when the hubster was out with friends, when there was nothing decent to watch on TV and nothing appealing to read on my bookcase, I downloaded the Kindle App with guilt, fully aware that I was going against my beliefs just by entertaining the idea. I just wanted one book I could share the night with. It wasn't going to become a regular dalliance. I browsed through Amazon and with the tap of one button, there it was - instant gratification. In a region where books are horrendously expensive and often unavailable, it became the perfect, the only choice. Within seconds I had gained an entire collection of books that I could carry around in my (albeit rather large) tote bag. I could read in the dark long after the hubster fell asleep. I could get hold of books that weren't sold here. I could even get some books for free.

In one week, I had converted to e-bookism and as a result, decided to publish Desperate in Dubai in e-book format. I'm a lot of things but a hypocrite isn't one of them!

So here you go - the link to downloading DID on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M7S7LW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?cor=GB

Don't forget to leave a (hopefully good) review :)

Enjoy xxx

Follow me on twitter: @ameerahakawati
Like my page on Facebook: www.facebook.com/desperateindubai


9 comments:

Saddaf Faisal said...

I have just read the whole book in one day. I started reading this morning, did an 8 hour shift at work whilst reading in between and finished up a while ago. Ive been following your blog since way back and was so happy when you got your publishing deal :-) I loved it and appreciated the changes you made to tie in all the major characters. A very happy reader and fan. Well done Ameera - I await your next piece!!

Anonymous said...

So I read three chapters of your book two days ago, thought it was, 'normal' I guess? Until today I had a spare time this afternoon, saw the book and decided to continue reading. 4 hours later I see myself finishing it off. I didn't want it to finish it was just beautiful the way the four characters clashed and had a different, yet relative story to many women of this time. I have to say though I didn't like Lady Luxe's ending <3

Wisdom said...

I have just read few pages of the book, while waiting in friend's drawing room. Its involving. Hope will get it soon.

Xander Erkamp said...

It's funny how this is a book about Dubai and when you go to Amazon it tells you: "This title is not available for customers from your location in:
Middle East"

sweetlikechocolate said...

Just figured how to order from Saudi and ordered it!

Guest said...

Ha ha, i totally agree! I love the idea and smell of real books, but ebooks, oh so easy! :) Keep it up!

http://andlovewillfindyou.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-desperate-place.html

Anonymous said...

Honest to Allah and to myself then, i have no hesitation to say that, Ameera, u've done it! u r a good writer easy to go with no hustles and no bustles have i ever found in ur writing. i m not an avid reader but i try to catch up on every chapter every now & then.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really love your blog! I’m contacting you because I’ve written a book entitled Never Marry a Momma's Boy: and 62 other men to avoid like the plague and I am hoping to get the word out about my new book! You can guess that this book is about types of men that women should steer clear of at all costs. It is a funny and smart read that I’m really proud of! If you would be interested, I would be thrilled to write a guest blog on your site. Please feel free to contact me at susanconner99@gmail.com. Thank you for your time!
Susan Conner
http://www.amazon.com/Never-Marry-Mommas-Boy-plague/dp/148119240X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360469848&sr=8-1&keywords=never+marry+a+momma%27s+boy

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

How is your next book coming along? Updates? Teasers;)?